by Amber Shumake
Dana told me someone nudged her the other day after class and said – about me, “She really likes teaching here, doesn’t she?” I’ve never been good at hiding my emotions. And when I love something, I want everybody to know.
- It's clean. Organically. Professionally.
- The expertise and professionality of the teachers. Their willingness to share what they know with each other, to tailor their teaching to meet the needs of the students in the room, to remain authentic to who they are.
- Compassionate collaboration. Everybody's got my back. No doubt. I don't have to hold the vision and mission alone. We all do our part and support each other.
- A beautiful private room with an Iyengar rope wall in which to camp out and teach individualized sessions.
- Infrared heat. When I set the temperature to 85, it's 85 and breathable. The sweat comes from the inside, out.
- Enthusiasm of the students. They're up for anything and everything. Eager beginners looking to learn. Intermediate students ready to take their practice to the next level. Advanced students who realize a beginner mentality is the way to progress. All seeking to breathe fresh life into their lives.
- Saunas + showers. Better products in the bathroom than the ones I own at home. I look for more opportunities to bathe here.
- Variety on the schedule. Within these four walls, I can find Ashtanga, yin + restorative, hatha, vinyasa, and magical spiritual substance I can really sink my teeth in.
- Rich relationships. My friends are there. Teachers I've known, respected and loved for years. Students who've followed me from my Azle living room to Karmany to my South Main loft to here: 3425 W. 7th, aka home.
How it feels. Brimming with possibility. How blessed am I for this opportunity. The Universe whispers that to me each time I enter or leave. The best feeling in the world is to know that the best is yet to come.